Dates are a great ingredient in a variety of sweet and savoury recipes, but they are delicious on their own too and even better stuffed with a filling to contrast with the chewy sweetness. There are over 20 known varieties of dates known to us and the 2 common ones you will find are Medjool dates and Deglet Noor. The Medjool date is softer and sweeter and the Deglet noor is harder and less sweeter.
There are hundreds of fillings to stuff dates with, for example:
- Nuts: pecans, peanuts, pistachios, and cashews
- Nut butters: tahini, almond butter, peanut butter, coconut
- Low fat cheese: i.e. goats cheese
- Meat: chicken, turkey.
- Desiccated coconut
- Herbs: chives and parsley, as well as many others
These stuffed dates are easy to make ahead of time and transport. These tasty treats are sure to be a hit. I made today’s one with peanuts inside and coated them with dark chocolate.
Dates aren’t just delicious, they are super nutritious. They are a good source of vitamins and minerals; such as calcium, iron, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, magnesium and zinc. In terms of vitamins; thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin K.
So there you have it, a rich chocolatey snack which includes 1 of your 5 a day. Remember, these are a treat – perfect for indulgence in moderation 🙂
- 10 medjool dates
- Handful of nuts
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup raw cacao
- ¼ cup maple
- In the bowl mix together coconut oil, maple syrup and cocoa powder
- Cut the dates in half lengthwise & remove the pit.
- Stuff with nuts
- Dip in chocolate sauce (using a skewer)
- Place stuffed dates in the freezer to firm for 15-20 minutes.
Thanks for visiting!