Potato salad is a great side dish for many occasions; BBQs, housewarmings, cookouts or simply on the home dinner menu.
However, traditional potato salad is usually doused with mayonnaise and salad cream which put together, are high in fat, sugar and calories. On the blog today, I inject the creaminess into this salad by using one simple fruit, the avocado. Using an avocado allows this recipe to lighten up without sacrificing flavour.
Avocados are abundant in vitamins and minerals. The most common of these vitamins and minerals are:
- Vitamin C: Which is key for a good functioning immune function and keeping our skin healthy. Lack of vitamin C may cause dry and splitting hair, an increase of infections and inflammation of the gums.
- Iron: Is an essential mineral which helps to make red blood cells. these red blood cells carry oxygen around the body. Lack of iron can lead to anemia which induces feelings of fatigue.
- Potassium: This mineral is important in keeping our heart healthy and controlling our blood pressure; potassium lessens the effects of sodium. Lack of potassium causes body weaknesses.
- Folic acid: Is an important mineral for tissue growth, which is why pregnant women tend to be recommended its consumption. Lack of folic acid may cause weight loss and fatigue.
We cannot forget the nutritious and delicious sweet potatoes. Though sweet potatoes are not a vegetable (they are a carbohydrate), they are high in fibre and are said to regulate blood sugar. This hearty potatoes salad contains a whopping 4 of your 5-a-day, along with a mix of interesting flavours and textures. It’s easily portable for work/school lunches and is even more delicious the next day!
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes (chunks)
- 2 avocados (chopped)
- 1 can of black beans (washed and dried)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Can sweetcorn
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1/2 red onion
- Handful of cherry tomatoe (halfed)
- Handful of coriander
- Bake sweet potatoes chunks mixed with 1 tbsp of the oil, sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 mins
- Assemble sweet potato onto a plate, with remainder ingredients
- Serve onto separate plates
Thanks for visiting!