If there’s one thing I could eat every day, it’s chocolate and fruit. Chocolate-covered strawberries are one of those decadent desserts that people save for special occasions.
Chocolate-covered strawberries, what’s not to love? I love the smooth chocolatey coating and the cool, sweet strawberry beneath. I love how easy they are to make at home also.
Recipes don’t get much more basic than this (get strawberries, dip in chocolate), but the results are so elegant they turn any event into a special occasion.
The only other trick to making chocolate-covered strawberries is that the strawberries must be uber dry. If you have any water left from rinsing, the coating doesn’t “stick” to the strawberry.
Strawberries have a great source of vitamin and minerals also:
- They are an excellent source of folate. Inadequate amounts of folate in the aging population can contribute to atherosclerosis, vascular disease and even a decline in cognitive function.
- They could reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. A 2013 study published in Circulation found women who ate three or more servings of strawberries and blueberries in a week reduced their risk of heart attack by 32%.
- There’s more than enough vitamin C. Strawberries contain more than 100 percent of our daily recommended intake of vitamin C in just one cup.
- They’re a great source of fibre. Strawberries are high in fibre, which is important for moving food through your digestive system and helping bowel movements.
- They’re high in antioxidants. Strawberries contain anthrocyanin, which is a powerful antioxidant that protects us from the damaging effects of our environment. The antioxidant power of the anthrocyanins found in strawberries lasts up to 24 hours after consumption; this makes them a great defence against free radical damage.
My own favourite dipping items include desiccated coconut and dark chocolate. There are many other possibilities that you can dip and dunk the strawberries in to. So get dipping.
- Punnet of strawberries
- 1/4 Cup of almond milk
- 1/4 Cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 Cup cacao powder
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan
- Bring to a boil for 3 minutes
- Pour chocolate into jar
- Dip strawberries in chocolate
- Dip chocolate covered strawberries into desiccated coconut
Thanks for visiting!